6/22/15

A Miracle Through Family History

I want to write about an ongoing miracle in my life.

A few months ago, I met Norma, a sweet woman from Kentucky in her 80s. While not of our faith, she is a woman of prayer, and as I speak with her it becomes apparent that she is very sensitive to truth and goodness. We are sort of related; she married my grandmother's uncle. I got her contact information from my grandmother, who exchanges Christmas cards with Norma yearly, while I was looking for some family history information. Norma knew some of the people I was researching, my grandmother's grandparents, aunts and uncles, so I wanted to ask her if she had the information I was searching for. 

I wrote a letter, somewhat doubtful as to whether or not she'd respond. To my delight, however, I received a phone call a few weeks later from Norma, who had all the information I was looking for.

As I have kept in touch with Norma, she has given me information that my parents and grandmother had been searching for for decades. She has sent pictures of deceased family members and has been so helpful and cooperative, saying she loves hearing from family, and always asks how my grandma is doing. This, in and of itself, is miracle enough.

But there's more. Norma had one daughter who died several years ago. I have had the opportunity to tell Norma a bit about temples, and I asked her if she would like me to do her daughter's temple work. I didn't know what she would say, but to my great surprise, she said yes! She said that temple work sounds like a wonderful thing, and she likes the idea of "eternal families." I know that nothing I said influenced her; the Holy Ghost spoke to her and testified of the truthfulness of temples and eternal families. Miracles do happen, especially when those on the other side are helping you. 

4 comments:

  1. This post had me teary-eyed before I even got to the best part! What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started crying by the end! I am so grateful that I can be with my family for eternity and help others do that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! You're the sweetest! Thanks for your beautiful, shining example.

      Delete

Share Your Light!